BTF NEWS! September 20, 2016
The next BTF meeting will be on September 22nd
Location: Webster Parish Courthouse @ 10 A M –
The DRAFT Agenda is posted here: 092216_btf-agenda
Everyone who attends will have the opportunity to speak !
Questions about the drawdown ? Contact Jeff Sibley
The 2016 BTF meeting dates are:
January 21 March 24 May 26 July 28 September 22
Jeff Sibley Fisheries Biologist Manager wants to hear your questions. Call him @ Phone 318-371-3066; OR Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The BTF was created to improve communications between the state, the parish police juries, and the stakeholders.
Trailblazer R C & D is pleased to be in partnership with the
In 2009, the Bistineau Task Force was created by the Bienville, Bossier, and Webster Parish Police Juries in response to public outcries over the spread of Giant Salvinia in Lake Bistineau. In cooperation with the Trailblazer Rural Development Institute and the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF), BTF stakeholders have worked to restore and preserve the water quality and habitats of the entire Lake Bistineau area. Actions include the coordination of restoration activities, education, advocacy, and citizen action. The BTF is working with all stakeholders for the benefit of future generations.
BTF’s Battle with
- A 1995 outbreak in South Carolina was the earliest U.S. record of Salvinia molesta outside of cultivation.
The distribution and spread of Salvinia molesta (giant salvinia) has progressed from independent introductions across the southern United States.
Salvinia molesta was discovered on Lake Bistineau in February of 2006.
In 2009, Salvinia molesta covered up to 8,000 of Lake Bistineau’s 17,000 acres.
- A Few Facts About Giant Salvinia
- Salvinia molesta, commonly known as Giant Salvinia , is an aquatic fern, native to southeastern Brazil.It is a free floating plant that does not attach to the soil, but instead remains buoyant on the surface of a body of water.Salvinia molesta reproduces by asexual reproduction only, but it is capable of growing extremely quickly, starting from small fragments and doubling in dry weight every 2.2 to 2.5 days.It grows from fragments that have broken off or dormant buds that have been detached from the main plant; Each node has five buds, so potential for great and rapid spread is high.[/one_third]
More than forty local officials and stakeholders attended the October 22, 2012 Donation Ceremony for the new air boat and UTV, which was held at the Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Office (LDWF) in Minden. Read more about it in the November issue of Trailblazer News, found in our Media Center on the Home page.
How you can help
- The BTF can use your help! We depend on donations to make our goals for the Lake Bistineau area a reality. Donations have made it possible for the BTF to recently donate an airboat and a UTV to the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries. Help us to do even more! See our 2013-14 BTF VISION PLAN at the bottom of this page.
- Checks (made out to Trailblazer R C & D, with a BTF Action Plan notation) can be mailed to:
- Trailblazer R C & D
- 302 Reynolds Drive
- Ruston, LA 71270.
- Donations may qualify as tax exempt; Donations of $100 or more will receive an acknowledgement letter.
For a copy of the Aquatic Weed Identification sheet, click here.
BTF Records Archive
Planned meeting dates: September 18 , 2014_July 17, 2014_
March 20, 2014 Minutes …….. BTF Min 032014
January 16, 2014 Minutes ……… BTF Minutes 011614
September 19, 2013 Minutes ……BTFMinutes 091913
September 30, 2010 Minutes
Other BTF Documents: